We are now hiring for a new, exciting internship position! This Position Has Been Filled. Please Check Back.
Internship activities/projects include: writing and posting social media content for local businesses; writing and editing blogs for client websites; optimizing blogs using search engine optimization techniques; writing and distributing press releases.
Position Details: Social Media/PR Intern
Posted: March 10, 2015 – Intern to start April 2015
Organization: Hot Dog Marketing is a premiere small business marketing agency serving businesses in Central Texas. Jessica Scanlon, the owner of Hot Dog Marketing has over 10 years in sales and marketing experience. Hot Dog Marketing has a stellar reputation. You’ll love working with us.
Internship runs: April – August; Min. 10-12 hours/week. (Preference given to interns who want to commit until December 2015)
Office location: Round Rock, TX (some work in office/some working virtually from home); flexible.
Intern reports to: Jessica Scanlon, principal of Hot Dog Marketing
Pay/benefits: $100/week and potential academic credits, an intern that successfully completes the program will receive a letter of recommendation from the agency’s owner, bi-weekly mentoring from the agency’s owner, a resume remodel before they begin their job search, and a certificate of completion.
Hours: Min. 10-12 hours/week –ideally working in the office Monday and Thursday afternoons; other hours flexible. Reliable transportation required.
Requirements/qualifications: Self-motivated, mature, organized, detail-oriented Junior or Senior pursuing a degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing or Communications, or a professional transitioning into the communications field. Seeking a candidate who actively engaged in social media and who is responsible and professional and is able to take initiative and work independently. Intern will have a strong desire to learn and have good computer/tech skills. Prior office OR internship experience desired. This internship will provide the student with a wide scope of experience in every facet of marketing/PR.
The learning goals for this internship are the following:
- Learn how to find suitable content to share on social media on behalf of businesses
- Learn how to find the right tone to use in social media and blog postings based on the business you are writing for
- Learn how to track how well certain posts are performing
- Learn to use Hootsuite social media management software
- Learn how to post to WordPress
- Learn how to optimize blog posts in WordPress
- Learn to write press releases
- Learn how to distribute press releases via email
- Learn how to maintain a social media and blogging schedule for multiple clients
- Learn how to prioritize and manage multiple daily tasks
- Learn the essential soft skills in order to be successful in an office environment
- Learn how to proofread marketing material
- Practice AP style writing standards
- Learn how to make reports for clients on their online marketing program
- Learn how to complete writing projects quickly to maximize time
- Learn how to train a new intern on all of the above
Interested applicants should email a résume, short cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com as soon as possible. Priority is given to student who can commit to the internship through the end of the year.
I’m a mom, a small business owner, and I’m a marketing professional with over a decade helping businesses with their branding and online presence. When I’m not spending time with my family or on my business, I love cooking (and eating), racquetball, yoga, and shopping. My favorite authors are Malcolm Gladwell and Steve Martin. My favorite movies are L.A. Story, Little Mermaid, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Trainspotting.